The 'Language of Charity' is the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love. Charity impels us to be sympathetic and compassionate.

2.13.2014

An Opportunity to Help Feed the Hungry

Feeding the hungry..

Why Does it Matter? 

In Matthew 25:35  it reads - For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: > ( Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. )
 
Our Earthly body's require nourishment.. Food being one of them.
-
I personally have only known what true concern about satisfying hunger for my family was for brief periods of time. Even then it meant only cutting out other things in order to pay for our food that was needed. When you start to study the amount of those around us that are hungry everyday, I realize how truly blessed I have been and how I need to continually find ways in trying to help our community be nourished..

I received a call from a Valery 2 days ago. She works for 2nd Harvest (food bank) here in Pasco at 5825 Burlington Loop off 395. Her plea for volunteers and help was moving as demands for food has risen to 1 out of 4 children going hungry daily. She shared her personal story with me of how she grew up hungry. They had only $50 dollars a month in their food budget to live on as a family. That is why she was motivated to end up working at a food supply bank at some point in her life.

Why Does it Matter?
 
Second Harvest distributes 2 million pounds to help people in need in 26 counties in Eastern Washington and North Idaho. Partnerships with more than 250 neighborhood food banks and meal centers making it possible to feed 50,000 people each week. There are also programs that connect with the school districts as well.
 
 
4 stake sisters and I went to 2nd Harvest yesterday to get to know the facility and also to volunteer 2-4 hrs. Here are some conclusions of our experience. Side note: When I called Valery to let her know that 5 of us were coming, she was completely choked up with gratitude.
 
> It was a blast.. we worked nonstop but were able to visit and share laughs as we were doing the work.
 
> The work consisted mostly of sorting and putting items in boxes. We did potatoes, onions, pears, and sorted/boxed food drive items. 6717 + 5594 pds were done in 4 hrs. A very rewarding feeling. 
 
> The warehouse is very clean and organized.. I was impressed. Very good environment and easy to find.
 
> I was completely blown away at our community's generosity. The food drive boxes are huge and full, the grocery stores that help, the farmers that donate, and the amount of personal donations.
 
> We all want to go back.. It was a positive experience.
 
Valery took 2 of us on a tour of their warehouse. She stopped at the end of the tour and asked us if there any more people like our group.. because we seem to get what was needed to be done quickly without a lot of training and worked very well/hard and was able to get a lot done. We need more like you. (I said I'd try..)
 
This is a great opportunity for us Sisters/Brothers, Single Adults, YM/YW 14 yrs and up > for Saturday mornings from 9-12am, Families 9 yrs and up > for Thursday evening from 6-8pm is family night.. if I remember correctly, I think that is a time they do their breads.. and I guess there is a lot of bread sorting (fun), FHE 14 yrs and up > Monday evenings from 6-8pm, Date nights, and just because it is what we do :)
 
They have made it super easy to volunteer as you can see here > http://secondharvesttricity.volunteerhub.com/Events/Index 
 
Please pass this information onto anyone that you may know that would be interested in helping. It would be even greater to have a 'continual commitment' of volunteers somehow for them.
 
If you have any questions you may contact me thru my email at pascostakehumanitarian@gmail.com\
 
Thank you,
 
Sister Jan Barron
Pasco Stake Humanitarian