The 'Language of Charity' is the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love. Charity impels us to be sympathetic and compassionate.

10.01.2013

Recipes From Stake RS Event/Broadcast

Sister Debbie Harker's Recipes/Message.

Good morning! Hats off to the women of the Pasco Stake! You gals are awesome .....ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I have received received several requests for recipes ..... even text messages late last nite asking for them ..... So STRAIGHTWAY ~ here they are! Just so you know ~ I'm terrible. terrible! I don't follow recipes so well. Here is the recipes as it was given to me:
 

White Chicken Chili

3 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans- drained
1 tablespoon butter or canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced green chilies- small
1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dash basil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 cups low-sodium Swanson chicken broth
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

In large skillet, brown diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Once browned, add a little butter or oil and add in to sauté: onion, garlic, green chilies, and shredded or finely chopped carrot.
 
Add Swanson chicken broth, dash of basil, cumin and chili powder; salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then simmer 15-20 min. Add in drained and rinsed canned white beans.
 
Serve topped w/ cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, sour cream and a few tortilla chips.
 
NOW.... HERE IS WHAT I DO: Last night I used pre-cooked diced chicken breasts. I sautéed onions and garlic with Pam, not oil/butter. My husband isn't big on garlic, so I just use a little bit of the minced garlic in the jar. Cumin is not my favorite spice so I barely used a teaspoon for the whole big roaster oven last night.
 
When I make it at home, a few dashes will do. Chili powder.... Never measured...just add to taste. I rarely buy canned chicken broth. I like the chicken paste stuff in the jar from Costco, the flavor is much richer and I just make my own broth. Make just enough to barely cover your meat/beans.
 
When I first made the chili I felt it needed something! (Which is kinda what I do with most recipes!) Hmmm...... What to add? Cream cheese will work! So I add an 8 oz. brick of cream cheese to this chili? I've used the low fat kind .... Works nicely. Just remember it takes a while to melt down, so add it STRAIGHTWAY! For garnish I use shredded Monterey Jack cheese.... Not cheddar and a cilantro sprig!

 

  Pumpkin Cake Pumpkin Cake:

1 yellow cake mix
1 teas. Baking Soda
1/2 teas ginger
3/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 teas cinnamon
1/2 teas nutmeg
1/4 teas cloves
1 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup oil

Mix all ingredients. Beat well. Put in greased 9x13. Bake at 350 for 25 min or till done. Top with cream topping.
 

Cream topping:

1 pint whipping cream
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teas vanilla

Whip cream till stiff. Add brown sugar and vanilla. Whip till sugar dissolves.

****** I use half light brown sugar and half dark brown sugar, richer color!


Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cake:

2 gluten free yellow cake mixes (they only make an 8x8 pan- so I used 2)
1 1/2 teas. Soda
3/4 teas ginger
1 1/4 cup water..scant
3 eggs
1 1/2 teas cinnamon
3/4 teas nutmeg
1/2 teas cloves -scant
1 1/2 cup pumpkin
1/3 cup oil

Mix all ingredients. Put in greased 9x13. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min. Top with cream topping.

 
Thanks again for all you do! You have truly blessed our sisters in Africa/PNG .....One by One!